Welcome to the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Provost oversees all Florida State University academic and academic service units.
Message from the Provost
Welcome to the 2020-21 academic year! While the COVID-19 pandemic has changed many of the ways we interact, we are committed to providing as safe, inclusive, and impactful an experience as possible for our university community.
We enter this year as the 18th ranked public university in the U.S. News & World Report rankings and we hope to enter the Top 15 soon. Over the last five years, FSU has moved up 25 spots among public universities, more than any other public university in the Top 50!
At the Office of the Provost, we promote excellence in all things academic, helping create an environment focused on teaching, research, and public service. As a Preeminent University in Florida, FSU both expects and recognizes the best from our students, faculty, staff, and community. Here are some highlights of great things we are doing at FSU.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism– Florida State has a long history of institutional commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that has earned us recognition in each of past six years as a “HEED Diversity Champion” by Insight into Diversity and placement in the top 10 as an “Access Improver” for our support of underrepresented student populations. The Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) recently honored FSU with their Platinum Level Award for Global Learning, Research and Engagement. Additionally, Hispanic Business Magazine ranked our College of Law No. 2 in the nation for Hispanic students and the College of Medicine No. 8. The College of Medicine is the only school ranked in the top six for enrollment of both Black and Hispanic students among 136 U.S. medical schools. We are No. 4 in the nation in preparation of African-American physicians, behind three HBCU Medical Schools only. However, we recognize the need for continued improvement. Therefore, our faculty, students, and staff are exploring concepts within Anti-Racism and Decolonization within our classes and as they might apply to the improvement of our daily lives. Our partnership with our neighbor FAMU provides additional opportunities this year for joint meetings and events that explore these topics through everyone’s history, experiences and insights.
- 115 New Faculty– We continue to attract some of the most distinguished faculty in the country to our top ranked programs across campus, including in the arts and humanities, the sciences, law, medicine, education, business, policy, and criminology. These exciting new colleagues make our university better in every way!
- Making Learning Meaningful and Equitable– Our campus is dedicated to giving students experiences that will prepare them for life after college. Engage 100 is a new program designed to connect, engage, and challenge students during their first semester at FSU, as well as pave the way to future success. Our faculty continue to redesign courses and embed the latest evidence-based teaching practices that improve student learning and performance.
- Top 4-year Graduation Rate– Our students graduate at among the highest rates in the nation. In fact, FSU’s four-year graduation rate is among the top 10 ranks of national public universities. Perhaps most importantly, we have proven that our great overall results show no disparities among our graduation rates for Black, Hispanic, and Caucasian students.
- Record Graduate Enrollment– For the second year in a row, FSU has broken its own record for the number of students pursuing a graduate degree. Our growing ranks of excellent faculty and increased research productivity are drawing more graduate students to apply and enroll. For this Fall semester, applications were up over 40% and enrollment of new graduate students is up over 50%.
Our students, faculty, staff and alumni are living proof of success at FSU! Take a closer look.
Areas Reporting to the Provost
- Academic Affairs (all colleges, centers, institutes, academic services and more)
- Office of Faculty Development and Advancement
- The Graduate School
- The Ringling
- Division of Undergraduate Studies
FSU was recognized by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine as one of 15 “Diversity Champion” colleges and universities in the nation. Our continuing efforts to move diversity and inclusion to the forefront of the university mission also received national recognition with “Higher Education Excellence in Diversity” (HEED) Awards in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020, recognizing outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Embedded in the culture of
Florida State University
Faculty Development and Advancement
- Promotion & Tenure
- Faculty Senate
- Faculty Employment and Credentials
- Faculty Development (sabbaticals, professional leaves)
- Faculty Assignments and Evaluations
- Annual FEAS Updates
- Faculty Mentoring and Assistance
- Diversity and inclusion
- Academic Leadership Development
- Faculty Productivity
- Academic Collective Bargaining
- Academic Policy and Regulation
- Center for the Advancement of Teaching
Accreditation, Assessment, and Planning
- FSU Strategic Plan
- FSU Accountability Plan
- Quality Enhancement Reviews (QER)
- Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
- Institutional Effectiveness
- State Mandated Academic Learning Compacts (SMALCs)
- SACSCOC Accreditation
- SACSCOC Substantive Change Monitoring and Reporting Policy
- Textbook and Instructional Material Affordability
- Institutes and Centers Reviews
- Institutional Research Office