Welcome to the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Provost oversees all Florida State University academic and academic service units.
Message from the Provost
Welcome to the 2019-20 academic year! This is the historic year that FSU has broken into the Top 20 among all national public universities, according to US News & World Report! In fact, at #18, we are now working toward becoming a Top 15 public university in the country. Over the last five years, FSU has moved up 25 spots among public universities, more than any other public university in the Top 50!
At the Office of the Provost, we promote excellence in all things academic, helping create an environment focused on teaching, research, and public service. As a Preeminent University in Florida, FSU both expects and recognizes the best from our students, faculty, staff, and community. Here are some highlights of some other great things we are doing at FSU.
- 140 New Faculty– Thanks to our faculty hiring initiative, 140 new faculty colleagues joined FSU this year. We continue to attract some of the most distinguished faculty in the country to our top ranked programs across campus, including in the arts and humanities, the sciences, law, medicine, education, business, policy, and criminology. These exciting new colleagues make our university better in every way!
- Enhancing Teaching and Learning– Faculty and departments continue to redesign courses with support from FSU’s innovative Center for the Advancement of Teaching, offering smaller class sizes, and expanding undergraduate research and creative activities, internships and other engaged learning opportunities. All this is making FSU one of the most desirable places in the country to study and learn, with over 60,000 applications for our freshman class.
- Record 4-year Graduation Rate, Again!– Our students graduated at the highest rate of any public university in Florida, for the second year in a row. FSU’s four-year graduation rate is now 71.5% percent, which is the best four-year rate in the State University System’s history and ranks as #11 among all national public universities. Perhaps most importantly, we have proven that our great overall results show no disparities among our graduation rates for African-American, Hispanic, or Caucasian students.
- Diversity and Inclusion– We continue to be nationally recognized for the success and diversity of our community, winning 6 consecutive HEED awards and three recognitions as ‘Diversity Champion.” We are among the top 10 “Access Improver” institutions for our outstanding support and education of traditionally underrepresented students. Hispanic Business Magazine ranked our College of Law No. 2 in the nation for Hispanic students and the College of Medicine No. 8. The College of Medicine is the only school ranked in the top six for enrollment of both black and Hispanic students among 136 U.S. medical schools. We are No. 4 in the nation in preparation of African-American physicians, behind three HBCU Medical Schools only.
- Promoting Alumni Success– Among our many distinguished alumni are writer/director Barry Jenkins and six other FSU Film School alumni who won 2017 Oscars for Best Picture “Moonlight”; entrepreneurial visionary Sara Blakely of the Spanx empire; and legendary oceanographer and National Georgraphic explorer-in-residence, Dr. Sylvia Earle. That impressive list goes on and on.
Our students, faculty, staff and alumni are living proof of success at FSU! Take a closer look.
Areas Reporting to the Provost
- Academic Affairs (all colleges, centers, institutes, academic services and more)
- Office of Faculty Development and Advancement
- The Graduate School
- The Ringling
- Division of Undergraduate Studies
FSU was recognized by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine as one of 13 “Diversity Champion” colleges and universities in the nation. Our continuing efforts to move diversity and inclusion to the forefront of the university mission also received national recognition with “Higher Education Excellence in Diversity” (HEED) Awards in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, recognizing outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Embedded in the culture of
Florida State University
Faculty Development and Advancement
- Promotion & Tenure
- Faculty Senate
- Faculty Employment and Credentials
- Faculty Development (sabbaticals, professional leaves)
- Faculty Assignments and Evaluations
- Annual FEAS Updates
- Faculty Mentoring and Assistance
- Diversity and inclusion
- Academic Leadership Development
- Faculty Productivity
- Academic Collective Bargaining
- Academic Policy and Regulation
- Center for the Advancement of Teaching
Accreditation, Assessment, and Planning
- FSU Strategic Plan
- FSU Accountability Plan
- Quality Enhancement Reviews (QER)
- Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
- Institutional Effectiveness
- State Mandated Academic Learning Compacts (SMALCs)
- SACSCOC Accreditation
- SACSCOC Substantive Change Monitoring and Reporting Policy
- Textbook and Instructional Material Affordability
- Institutes and Centers Reviews
- Institutional Research Office