Welcome to the Office of the Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Provost oversees all Florida State University academic and academic service units.
Message from the Provost
Welcome to the 2018-19 academic year! At the Office of the Provost, we promote excellence in all things academic, helping create an environment focused on teaching, research, and public service. As a Preeminent University in Florida, FSU both expects and recognizes the best from our students, faculty, staff, and community. Here are some highlights of the great things we are doing at FSU:
- 240 New Faculty – Thanks to our faculty hiring initiative, 240 new faculty colleagues joined FSU this year, including 125 newly created positions funded by the Florida Legislature in recognition of our preeminence. We continue to attract some of the most distinguished faculty in the country to our top ranked programs across campus, including in the arts and humanities, the sciences, law, medicine, business, policy, and criminology. These exciting new colleagues make our university better in every way!
- Enhancing Teaching and Learning – Faculty and departments are redesigning courses with support from FSU’s new Center for the Advancement of Teaching, offering smaller class sizes, and expanding undergraduate research and other engaged learning opportunities. All of this is making FSU one of the most desirable places in the country to study and learn, with over 51,000 applications for a freshman class of 6,200 students.
- Record 4-year Graduation Rate – Our students are graduating at the highest rate of any public university in Florida. FSU’s four-year graduation rate is now 68.4 percent, which is the best four-year rate in the State University System’s history and among the Top 15 in public universities. Perhaps most importantly, there is no disparity among our graduation rates for African-American, Hispanic, or Caucasian students.
- Diversity and Inclusion – We continue to be nationally recognized for the success and diversity of our community. We are among the top 10 “Access Improver” institutions for our outstanding support and education of traditionally underrepresented students. Hispanic Business Magazine ranked our College of Law No. 2 in the nation for Hispanic students and the College of Medicine No. 8. The College of Medicine is the only school ranked in the top six for enrollment of both black and Hispanic students among 136 U.S. medical schools. We are No. 4 in the nation in preparation of African-American physicians, behind three HBCU Medical Schools only.
- Rising National Rankings – FSU continues to advance in the national rankings, moving to number 26 among all public universities according to U.S. News & World Report. Over the last three years, FSU has moved up 17 spots among public universities, more than any other public university in the top 50.
- Promoting Alumni Success – Among our many distinguished alumni are writer/director Barry Jenkins and six other FSU Film School alumni who won 2017 Oscars for Best Picture “Moonlight”; entrepreneurial visionary Sara Blakely of the Spanx empire; and the longtime Chancellor of Washington University, distinguished scientist Mark Wrighton. That impressive list goes on and on.
The Future is Florida State. Take a closer look.
Areas Reporting to the Provost
View more photos.
FSU was recognized by INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine as one of 13 “Diversity Champion” colleges and universities in the nation. Our continuing efforts to move diversity and inclusion to the forefront of the university mission also received national recognition with “Higher Education Excellence in Diversity” (HEED) Awards in 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018, recognizing outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Innovation and Entrepreneurship
Embedded in the culture of
Florida State University
Faculty Development and Advancement
- Promotion & Tenure
- Faculty Senate
- Faculty Employment and Credentials
- Faculty Development (sabbaticals, professional leaves)
- Faculty Assignments and Evaluations
- Annual FEAS Updates
- Faculty Mentoring and Assistance
- Diversity and inclusion
- Academic Leadership Development
- Faculty Productivity
- Academic Collective Bargaining
- Academic Policy and Regulation
- Center for the Advancement of Teaching
Accreditation, Assessment, and Planning
- FSU Strategic Plan
- BOG Accountability Plan
- Quality Enhancement Reviews (QER)
- Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP)
- IEP Reporting Portal
- State Mandated Academic Learning Compacts (SMALCs)
- SACSCOC Accreditation
- SACSCOC Substantive Change Monitoring and Reporting Policy
- Writing Student Learning Outcomes
- Textbook and Instructional Material Affordability
- Institutes and Centers Reviews
- Institutional Research Office